Resident Resources

Resident Resources

Resident Resources and Information

Health & Safety Inspections

Residential Learning and University Housing staff complete Health and Fire Safety Inspections each semester to ensure compliance with NJ State Fire Code and the standards outlined in Rowan University policies. Prohibited items have been designated as such based on several criteria, all leading to the result of keeping you, your neighbors, and our facilities safe and free of potential fire hazards. For a list of items that are prohibited in the residence halls and apartment complexes, please visit the Student Housing Policies page. A list of prohibited items is also published to students in advance of the inspections occurring. Below is some more information about the process itself and possible consequences should students have prohibited items in their living space. 

The Process:

  • RLUH staff members will conduct inspections in teams of two.
  • You do not need to be present for the inspection but if you would like to and are not available within the timeframe listed, please contact your RA or RD to schedule an appointment.
  • Staff will knock, knock again, then announce themselves while keying in.
  • At no time will staff open your drawers or furniture. They are completing a visual inspection to look for violations of the NJ State Fire Code or prohibited items as described in the Rowan University Handbook.

What happens if the staff finds a prohibited item/unsafe condition that violates policy?

  • If a prohibited item is found, please note that the RLUH staff will confiscate the item if possible. For items that are prohibited but are larger than physically possible to remove at the time of the inspection, the RLUH staff will work with you to have that item removed as soon as possible.
  • In some situations there is not a particular item that is prohibited, but a violation of the NJ State Fire Code could be present due to the way a room is arranged, items could be placed too close to a sprinkler head, a means of egress from a room may not be present, unsanitary conditions, etc. Staff will document that this condition exists and notify students of what is required to rectify this situation.
  • Any room or apartment that is found in violation of NJ State Fire Code or Rowan University’s policies will be documented and notified of the details by letter to your Rowan University e-mail. A $25.00 fine will be placed on the accounts of any students who are responsible for the violation.     

Rowan Card

Your Rowan ID Card serves multiple purposes. It identifies you as a Rowan student, your meal plan, and Rowan Bucks are spent using it, and in some locations on campus, you utilize it for access to your residence hall or apartment. For questions related to the Rowan Card, please visit the Office of Rowan Card Services here. 

Lock Outs, Lost Keys & Lock Changes

If you find that you have locked yourself out of your residence hall or apartment, you can visit the Residential Learning and University Housing Office during regular business hours to sign out a temporary, loaner key and/or access card. The loaner key will need to be returned to our office promptly to avoid a lock change being processed for your space so that it is available should you ever need it again. Temporary access cards also need to be returned to our office as they are costly to replace.

If you believe that you have lost your key we recommend that you retrace your steps as best as possible. Locations on campus where you can inquire about lost and found items are the REC Center, Chamberlain Student Center Information Desk, Public Safety, and the Residential Learning and University Housing Office (RLUH). You can also visit the RLUH office to sign out your temporary loaner key while you work to retrace your steps. If you cannot locate your key promptly, you will need to have a lock change processed for your room. If you have lost your key, this presents a security risk for you and any roommates you may have, so we encourage you to report lost keys quickly. The cost of lock changes is listed below. Charges for a lock change or replacement access cards are applied to your student account and can be paid through the Bursar's Office. 

Residence Hall Single Room $50.00   Townhouse 4 Bedroom Unit $218.00
Residence Hall Double Room $52.00   Townhouse 6 Bedroom Unit $260.00
Residence Hall Triple Room $53.00      
Edgewood Park Apartments $52.00      
Whitney 1 Bedroom Unit $50.00      
Whitney 2 Bedroom Unit $52.00      
Whitney 3 Bedroom Unit $53.00      
Whitney 4 Bedroom Unit $55.00