Room Changes

Room Changes

Roommate Concerns & Room Change/Swap Requests

Fall 2018 Online Room Change Process Information

The information below outlines the new online room change process for fall 2018 room changes.  If you are interested in a room change for fall 2018, you have the ability from Tuesday, April 24, 2018 through Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 11:59pm to view vacancies in university housing in real time through your MyHousing portal! 

This online room change process will be open throughout the summer. 

It will close on Sunday, July 29th at 11:59pm. 

Below are the steps you may take, if you are interested in changing your room as well as some answers to questions you may have about the process.  


How to complete an online room change:

  1. Log into Rowan Self-Service by clicking:
  2. Click on the student tab and then on MyHousing
  3. Once in MyHousing on the main page under “room selection” you will see you are eligible for “Room Changes – Upperclass”
  4. Click on “select a room/suite”
  5. View vacancies using the hall or gender of room feature
  6. Once you find a room you want, click “I agree – submit my room selection”
  7. You will receive a confirmation via email that your room selection process is complete.


Frequently Asked Questions: 

What happens if I change my room but want to go back to my original room?

Room changes take place in real time.  If you select a room and are not happy with it, log back in to the room change process and see if your original space is still available.  If so, you can select it.  If it is not, it means that someone else has logged in and selected your former space.  If this happens, unfortunately the housing office will be unable to remove the new student from your former space.  Please make sure before you change your room, you are sure you want the room change!


What if I want to swap beds with someone?

  1. Click on “Housing Applications & Forms (Fall 2018)” on the top menu in MyHousing
  2. Complete the application
  3. The person you want to swap with must also complete this form
  4. Housing staff will complete the swap once both requests are submitted and notify you of your completed room swap via your Rowan email address 


What if I want a room change after the online process closes?

Starting Monday, July 30th, students must submit their room change requests via waiting lists in MyHousing.  More information regarding the waiting lists will be emailed to your Rowan email address in July.​ To view the traditional room change/swap submission process and information click here: How to Submit Room Changes & Room Swap Requests (after online process)


How To Resolve Roommate Concerns

Below are options residents can explore if they are having roommate concerns:

1. Talk with your roommate: 

Sometimes small issues arise which are left unresolved that lead to larger roommate concerns. When little things arise, bring it to your roommates attention and come to an agreement on a better way you will handle the same situation in the future. Make sure any changes you make to your roommate contract are updated on the contract itself. Residential staff can assist with this process.

2. Talk with your RA:

If you are not quite sure how to approach this conversation with your roommate, contact your Resident Assistant for advice and guidance.

3. Meet with your Resident Director or Residential Learning Coordinator:

Sometimes issues that arise between roommates can be easily resolved through mediation or open communication with a neutral third party. Our graduate and professional staff members are trained to assist residents with dealing with some of these difficult and awkward situations. If you have any concerns or issues, please contact your Resident Director or Residential Learning Coordinator and set up a meeting to explore your options.

4. If the above three (3) steps have proved unsuccessful, you may submit a room change/room swap request. 


How to Submit Room Change & Room Swap Requests

What is a Room Change Request?

A room change is your request to move into a room that is or will become a vacancy. 

What is a Room Swap Request?

A room swap request is a change in which you and another person are “swapping” rooms.  In the event you are submitting a room swap request, both students must each submit a room swap request via the instructions below.  Residential Learning and University Housing will be unable to process the swap request until both parties have submitted the appropriate form.

To Submit a Room Change/Room Swap Request

  • Log on to Banner Self-Service at:
  • Click on “MyHousing” under the student tab
  • Click “More Tasks”
  • Select “Room Change/Swap Request”
  • Select the term (ex. Fall 2017)
  • Select Waitlist you would like to be on AND in detail, outline your reason for your request by adding comments
  • Click submit
  • View current position on waitlist

To Cancel a Room Change/Swap Request:

  • Log on to Banner Self-Service at:
  • Click on “MyHousing” under the student tab
  • Click “More Tasks”
  • Click on “Room Change/Swap Request”
  • Select the term (ex. Fall 2017)
  • View Waiting List
  • Select the blue box to remove yourself

When/How are Room Change/Swap Requests Processed:

  • You are now able to add yourself to multiple waitlists and automatically receive your position number on the waitlist in MyHousing. In addition, you are able to remove yourself from any waitlist you are on. (See directions above.)

  • Our office receives a large quantity of room change/room swap requests daily.

  • Room Change Requests are reviewed regularly throughout each semester.

  • Room Change Requests are offered to students who have requested a room change/swap based on their position on the waitlist AND the availability of spaces we have to offer.
    • Please note: Not all room change requests will be approved due to lack of availability and the large amount of requests received within an academic year.
  • If we are able to meet your request and we have room available to offer you, you will receive an email to your Rowan email address informing you of this information as well as the hall/room location you can accept to be re-assigned to.
  • You must set up an appointment AND respond to the Department of Residential Learning and University Housing by the date listed in the email.
  • Your room change will be unable to occur if you fail to respond by the date indicated in the email and/or if you fail to schedule an appointment within the allotted time given.


If you have any questions, please contact our office at (856) 256-4266 Ext. 1 or email us at