Non-Traditional Transfer Credits

Non-Traditional Transfer Credits

Transferring Credits - Non-Traditional Transfer Credits

Non-Traditional Credit

Rowan University recognizes the need to serve both traditional and non-traditional students in new ways. Rowan accepts assessments by external assessment agencies: such as CLEP, AP, American Council on Education's "National Guide to Educational Credit for Non-Collegiate Programs", etc. Credit assessments made by Thomas Edison College are accepted as transfer credits. In addition, Rowan University awards transfer credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations.


AP Credit

Please note: Rowan University does NOT accept electronic AP score sheets. Thank you for your understanding.

Rowan awards credit to students through the Advanced Placement Program. Some awards begin at score level three (3) for the Advanced Placement (AP) program.

The AP credit score received must be equivalent to the minimum score accepted by Rowan University at the time the test was taken; otherwise, the credit will not be eligible for transfer. AP credits that are accepted are recorded as transfer credit (T-grade) on Rowan University's records, and figure in the total number of credits earned toward graduation, but not into the GPA. Students may not receive AP credit for an equivalent course taken at the Rowan University or elsewhere. If students earn credit in a course equivalent to an AP exam for which they also earned credit, the AP credit will be deleted from their records. Students should check with their advisers for detailed information on the assignment of AP credit.

Please note that the chart represents a general outline of AP credit. In all cases, credit is available only for grades of 3 or higher, subject to ongoing departmental reevaluation. All departments reserve the right to reevaluate the content of exams and to change the assignment of credit and course equivalences.

If a student has received AP credit at another institution, this credit will be reevaluated according to the Rowan University CLEP credit guidelines.

Advanced Placement Credit Chart


CLEP Credit

Advanced placement, CLEP, or other tests are evaluated according to Rowan University standards and are based upon original source materials. (We must have reports received directly from CLEP or AP, not from transfer institutions or the student.) Provided that there is no duplication of course work, students may accumulate credit toward a degree by demonstrating knowledge gained independently, starting studies at a higher level, and saving time and money.

As each college and department at RU has its own criteria for accepting credit, acceptance, application, and final approval of credits may vary. Rowan awards credit to students through the College Board's College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Some credit awards, for non-general examinations, begin at the 50th percentile.

NOTE: Your General Education LABORATORY/science requirement is not satisfied by the CLEP credit. However, students may receive lab credit in addition to that earned through in-class experience.. Also, Rowan does not accept CLEP credit for our College Composition Sequence.

If a student has received CLEP credit at another institution, this credit will be reevaluated according to the Rowan University CLEP credit guidelines.

CLEP Equivalency Chart (PDF)


International Baccalaureate

Rowan University awards transfer credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations. All students will have their credentials evaluated on an individual case-by-case basis for course equivalency. The Office of the University Registrar at Rowan University (201 Mullica Hill Rd. 08028) must receive the Official IB transcript before the review of credits will take place. Click here for general information about the International Baccalaureate.


Other Forms of Credit

Credit by Examination (Internal Rowan Credit Award Process) (PDF)

American Council on Education: "National Guide to Educational Credit for Non-Collegiate Programs"
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington, DC 20036-1193
(202) 939-9300

Back to Top