Transfer Credit Agreements

Transfer Credit Agreements

Transfer Credit Agreements

Rowan University accepts transfer credits from other colleges and universities on the basis of course equivalency, which means that a course taken at another institution is comparable to a Rowan course’s objectives, learning outcomes, and educational level. Mode of delivery is not a factor in determining course equivalency. Equivalent courses are accepted and applied to meet program requirements. Non-equivalent courses may be accepted as free electives and count as earned hours toward graduation. The University evaluates credits based on established equivalencies as well as on an individualized, case-by-case analysis.

Additional Provisions

  • As of Fall 2008, the course Intermediate Algebra is equivalent to a basic skills course and is no longer accepted in transfer as counting for earned hours towards graduation.
  • As of Fall 2009, the course Computer Literacy is equivalent to a basic skills course and is no longer accepted in transfer as counting for earned hours towards graduation.
  • Equivalents deemed to be basic skills do not transfer to Rowan and do not count towards earned hours for graduation.

New Jersey Statewide Transfer Agreement

The New Jersey Statewide Transfer Agreement provides for a seamless transfer between public community colleges and four-year schools. Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree satisfies all lower-level General Education requirements for a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree, with the exception of major-specific prerequisites or special graduation requirements that were not completed as part of the associate degree.

Please review the following resources for more information:

Rowan Course Equivalents for Community College Classes

The NJ Transfer website is the official repository for transfer equivalencies between New Jersey colleges and universities. The Registrar no longer maintains PDF documentation of equivalencies: all equivalencies are available on NJ Transfer.  

Reverse Transfer

Reverse Transfer agreements allow Rowan students who transferred from a community college without graduating to earn an associate degree from their former community college.

Eligibility Requirements:

  1. If the community college has a residency or minimum GPA requirement, students must meet that requirement before enrolling at Rowan University.
  2. Students must have earned a cumulative total of 66 semester hours between the community college and Rowan University.
  3. Students must be current with financial obligations to both Rowan University and the community college.
  4. Students must have met all of the graduation requirements of the community college.


  1. Email and indicate that you would like to participate in the reverse transfer process.
  2. Rowan University will determine if you meet the eligibility requirements.
  3. The Registrar’s Office will send transcripts (and other academic files, if applicable) to the community college.


Back to Top