Skip to main content

Spanish for Health Professions

Spanish for Health Professions Certificate of Undergraduate Study

The Certificate of Undergraduate Study (CUGS) in Spanish for Health Professions (12 s.h.) includes a combination of Spanish language coursework at the Intermediate level and subject-specific coursework offered both in Spanish and in English. The program is designed to enhance students’ prospects on the job market by making them more effective in treating and communicating with Spanish-speaking patients and clients.

How to register

This CUGS may be declared in the Department of World Languages with the World Languages Program Advisor, Cindy Finer ( Bunce Hall 2nd Floor. 


Required course (3 s.h.)
SPAN 05.212  Spanish Reading and Composition (pre-req. 4th semester Spanish - SPAN 05.211)

Choose 1 of the following (3 s.h.)
HLT 00.302    Global Health 
HES 00.202     Medical Terminology
HLT 00.301    Health and Diverse Populations

Choose 2 of the following (6 s.h.)
SPAN 05.305  Oral Spanish (pre-req. SPAN 05.211)
SPAN 05.313  Spanish for Medical Personnel (pre-req. SPAN 05.212)
SPAN 05.316  Spanish for Medical Emergencies and Disaster Response (pre-req. SPAN 05.211)

Students with existing proficiency in Spanish should contact Esther Mas ( regarding the placement exam. Students may place into any of the first five semester levels of Spanish language, as high as Spanish Reading and Composition (SPAN 05.212). It is possible for students to earn credits for the courses that they skip via the Authorization for Credit by Examination process. Contact Esther Mas ( for more details about this option.

Students without existing proficiency in Spanish will first need to complete 12 s.h. of lower-level coursework in Spanish, including Spanish I (SPAN 05.101), Spanish II (SPAN 05.102), Spanish III (SPAN 05.201), and Spanish Reading and Conversation (SPAN 05.211).

Students may satisfy program requirements through coursework completed at Rowan University, transfer credits obtained from coursework at other institutions, or through study abroad. All courses must be passed with a letter grade of “C-” or better and no courses may be taken P/NC. Students planning to study abroad must meet with the Program Advisor in order to determine course equivalents.