Exchange Students

Exchange Students

J-1 International Exchange Students

COVID-19 Update: International J-1 Student Advising:

The International Center is closed to the public until further notice, based on the

 NJ Governor Announces Statewide Stay at Home Order.

In response to the COVID-19 virus and the measures, Rowan University has implemented on campus to encourage “social distancing”, all international student and scholar advising will be done via email and phone (856) 256-4999 in order to limit the possible transmission of the virus. There will be no in-person appointments or walk-in advising hours. 

Students and scholars who wish to depart the U.S. and need travel signatures may submit a request to  and we will issue a new form shipped to you instead of submitting the travel signature requests in person.

We will continue to monitor the situation, and will post additional information if the situation changes. In the meantime, please continue to stay informed and up to date as the situation changes globally. Please stay safe and well, and seek medical attention if you do not feel well. Please follow the directions from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

What to do if you are sick with 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). 

As of December 6th, all air passengers eligible for entry into the United States, regardless of vaccination status, must show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 1 day before travel to the United States with limited exceptions or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days. More details on this requirement for all non-immigrant travelers is available here:

Please refer to   Rowan University Response to the Coronavirus COVID-19   for continued updates.


If you are an international student interested in studying at Rowan University for one or two semesters, please follow the application process below. 

J-1 Student application process:

Please follow the steps below.  Applications must be received by the following deadlines:

Semester Application Deadline
Fall          March 15
Spring           October 1

STEP 1:  Complete the J-1 student application and submit it to Zahia Obeid at

Students can study for one or two semesters at Rowan University, take academic courses and enjoy the campus activities and benefit from all student services offered to Rowan students. Students can choose from the following majors in our Program Finder    Please take into consideration the Pre-requisites for every course that you select, as you must show the respective transcript to prove that you have already taken the required course.
  • If requesting on-campus housing, submit the housing application:

On-campus Housing Application

STEP 2:  The application will be reviewed by the academic department in which the student's major resides.  If accepted, the student will be notified by the International Center.

STEP 3:  If accepted, the student must complete the DS-2019 application.  The International Center will work closely with the student to ensure all documentation is received and is compliant with the J-1 Visa regulations.

DS-2019 Application

STEP 4:  Upon receipt of the DS-2019, the  student will pay the SEVIS I-901 fee of $220 U.S. Dollars.  A  narrated video tutorial, available on Study in the States, walks students and exchange visitors through the steps of paying the I-901 SEVIS fee and making an appointment to apply for a J-1 Visa at the U.S.A. Embassy in their home country. For instructions on making an embassy Visa appointment, and other important information, visit the U.S. Department of State website:

STEP 5:  Review the Pre-arrival Handbook for J-1 Exchange Visitors for important information regarding your arrival at Rowan, maintaining your Visa status, and life in the United States.

STEP 6:  The student must communicate with the International Center regarding the Visa status, planned arrival date, and any changes in plans.

Important J-1 Visa Regulatory Requirements:

English Language Proficiency

Participants must possess sufficient proficiency in the English language to participate in their programs. [22 CFR 62.10(a)(2)].  The DS-2019 application for J-1 Visa will require that you submit proof of English language proficiency.

Prospective students must meet one of the following as proof of English language proficiency:

1. Duolingo: minimum score of 120 for Traditional Admissions. Please take your test here: 

2. TOEFL iBT: minimum score of 70 for Traditional Admissions – official scores must be sent directly to Rowan from the test provider   *the university code is 2515

3. IELTS: minimum score of 6.0 for Traditional Admissions – official scores must be sent directly to Rowan from the test provider

4. PTE: minimum score of 50 for Traditional Admissions – official scores must be sent directly to Rowan from the test provider

5. Successful completion of Rowan’s English Language Program (ELP) Level 5 with a minimum GPA score of 3.0 – must provide Certificate of Completion and letter from Director of ELP

6. Successful completion of ELS – Level 112

7. Successful completion of OHLA’s "Advanced 2". 

Health Insurance for J-1 Visa Holders

Participants and any J-2 dependents (spouses and minor unmarried children under the age of 21) accompanying them are required to carry medical insurance at the minimum benefit levels stated in the program regulations. [22 CFR 62.14] The willful failure to carry the required insurance for yourself and, if applicable, your dependents, will result in the termination of your J program and legal status in the U.S. 

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  • Medical Insurance must cover the  entire  period of participation in the Exchange Visitor Program.

When choosing an insurance policy, read the policy information carefully and don't be afraid to ask questions before you buy. Once you purchase insurance, the company will provide you with an insurance identification card for use as proof of your coverage when you are seeking health care from a hospital or doctor. The company will also provide written instructions for reporting and documenting medical expenses (filing a claim). The company will evaluate any claim that you file, and make the appropriate payment for coverage under your particular policy. In some cases the company pays the hospital or doctor directly; in others, the company reimburses the policyholder after he or she has paid the bills.

For more details about J-1 Visa regulations and eligibility requirements, please go to: