On Campus Employment & SSN

On Campus Employment & SSN

On-Campus Employment & Social Security Number

On-campus employment means work performed on the school’s premises or work at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with the school, such as the Barnes & Noble bookstore at Rowan. As an F-1 student, you may accept employment with the following conditions:

  • You must be enrolled full-time.
  • You may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • You may work full-time during vacation periods for students. However, you must plan on attending Rowan full-time the following semester or at the end of the vacation period.
  • You are not permitted to work on campus after completing your course of study.

There are two separate types of On-Campus jobs: Institutional Work Study (IWS) and Federal Work Study (FWS). Internationals are only eligible to accept IWS vacancies. Please visit the ICE webpage for On-Campus FAQs 

Note: All international students who accept to work on-campus have to fill out the Foreign Tax Benefit Package with the Office of Payroll in order to be issued the right tax forms, especially form 1042-S. Please make sure you fill out this packet every year of employment. This is not only a one-time process. This packet can be found on Payroll's Foreign Tax Benefits webpage.

How to Obtain a Social Security Number?

In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. To obtain a Social Security Number, you must:

Step 1: International student finds a job on campus.

Step 2: International student completes a Social Security Verification Request in Terra Dotta. The hiring manager’s information must be entered into the approver form. The hiring official completes information related to the job: address, supervisor’s name, beginning and ending date of the position, number of hours/week, brief job description, and hiring official signature.

Step 3: International Student presents the Social Security Verification Form to the International Center. The International Advisor verifies that the student is registered full-time and is registered in SEVIS. The International Advisor signs the form and advises the international student to take this form to the Social Security Administration. In addition to the Social Security Verification Form, the other documents that also need to be presented to the SSA include: Valid Passport, Visa, I-94, Current I-20, and Form SS-5.  

Step 4: International Student goes to the Social Security Administration to apply for an actual SSN and gets a letter from the SSA stating that the actual SSN is pending.

Step 5: When the student actually receives the actual number (usually two weeks after he/she applies), he/she needs to provide the actual number to the Payroll Office and the hiring department.

The closest Social Security Administration Office is located at 830 DELSEA DR NORTH, GLASSBORO, NJ 08028. For office hours call (800) 772-1213. You may apply for a Social Security number at the Social Security Office no more than 30 days prior to your employment start date.

Note: If you do not have permission to work: Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to conduct business with a bank, register for school, apply for educational tests, obtain private health insurance, apply for school lunch programs, or apply for subsidized housing. You cannot get a Social Security number for the sole purpose of obtaining a driver's license.

Helpful Websites

Social Security Numbers for non-citizens
Obtaining a Social Security Number
Learn What Documents You Need To Get A Social Security Card