DEI Champion Spotlight: Foster Solomon

Meet Foster Solomon, writer and director of The Penny Executive

foster-solomon

Tell us about yourself:

I have been involved in theater for over thirty-five years since he was a teenager. From acting, directing, producing, writing, and choreographing, there is very little I haven’t done. Originally from Atlanta, GA, I have lived and worked in theater all along the east coast. On camera, I was the host of “Travelers” on The Discovery Channel in the late ‘90s and Elijah in the  film “Hawks Ridge” which I also wrote and directed. My other writing credits include several short films and plays that have been screened and performed in festivals across the country. I am a proud MFA graduate from The Shakespeare Theatre’s Academy for Classical Acting in Washington, DC.

Why is DEI Work Important? 

In the early 2000's, I was commissioned by the Carpenter Science Theater here in Richmond, VA, to create a one-woman show about Maggie Walker. At that time, having only been in Richmond for a few years, I was chagrined to admit that I knew next to nothing about her and her influence. I personally feel that this allowed me to be a blank slate as I started working with the historians at the Maggie L. Walker House National Historic Site and learning more and more about her. I feel that as a Richmond outsider, I approached adapting her story from a fresher perspective than if I had been a native who had to discard any preconceived notions one would have if they grew up here.

I feel that stories of Black history and excellence that have been purposely lost, buried, and forgotten must be unearthed and presented before fresh modern eyes. These stories show not only that the struggle is not new. Those fighting for equity need not feel that they're inventing the wheel, but they can look to the past for inspiration. Most importantly, these stories can also show those struggling today that success IS possible and can show those in power that the truth can never be fully suppressed. As for theater, yes, a film or TV show can reach more people, but with theater, you can't mute it, switch channels, or turn it off. Theater is in the room with you; it is live; it is real; and you feel the story in a more personal way. That is the theater's power and influence. It is my goal for people to leave this show taking Maggie Walker's early 1800s power and influence and bring it with them out into the 21st century! 

The DEI Champion Spotlight features Rowan community members who are leading the way in DEI initiatives across campus. Champions featured in the spotlight serve as a great example of how DEI can be reflected throughout the campus. Meet Foster Solomon, the writer and director of The Penny Executive. 

The Penny Executive

The Penny Executive is a one-woman play that tells the story of Maggie Lena Walker, a social entrepreneur, feminist, and activist who was the first woman president of a bank in the United States. She was also a descendant of enslaved Africans who lived her life as a social entrepreneur and leader during Reconstruction and Jim Crow in Richmond, Virginia.

Reserve your seat for The Penny Executive on Feb 1, 2 & 3, 2023

Show times and dates are:

• 5:00 PM, February 1 and 2
  • 2:00 PM, February 3

All shows are in The Hub, Business Hall (ground floor lobby).

The play runs approximately 50 minutes, with the February 1 and 2 shows followed by panel discussions: the role of live theater in learning (Wednesday), and Maggie Lena Walker, Black economic empowerment, social justice, and The Black Women's Club movement (Thursday).

Seating is limited. Reserve your seat here today!

Follow The Penny Executive on Instagram.

Learn more about The Penny Executive Project here.

penny-executive

The Penny Executive: The Maggie Lena Walker Story, staring ASIA TODD, written and directed by FOSTER SOLOMON, production and stage manager HALLEL JACKSON, is made possible by our generous sponsors: DEPARTMENT OF THEATER AND DANCE; DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT; ROHRER COLLEGE OF BUSINESS; EDELMAN COLLEGE OF COMMUNICATION AND CREATIVE ARTS; DIVISION OF DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION; ROWAN CENTER FOR RESPONSIBLE LEADERSHIP; DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY; and the COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES.