DEI Champion Spotlight: Jamar Green

The DEI Champion Spotlight features Rowan community members who are leading the way in DEI initiatives across campus. Champions featured in the spotlight serve as a great example of how DEI can be reflected throughout the campus. Meet Jamar Green, senior double majoring in Law and Justice Studies and Africana Studies and Black Student Union President. 

A staff member nominated Jamar Green, stating: "Mr. Jamar Green is now the Acting-President for Rowan University's Black Student Union (BSU). He along with the former president Ms. Leilanie Hinton, along with their executive board, and with the assistance of the Black and Brown student body, followed up on 10 demands that were originally submitted in September 2020 to senior administration. As a result of these 10 demands being revisited and the BSU Call to Action that occurred in October 2021, Mr. Green has arranged, organized, scheduled meetings, and attended these meetings with senior administration and local police departments to strategically hold BSU along with senior administration accountable to DEI priorities and institutional goals in the area of DEI. During these meetings, Mr. Green often presents himself in a professional, inquisitive, respectful, and confident manner. His responses are thoughtful and well-articulated which amplifies the voices of students in a sincere and compassionate manner. He is reliable, dependable, and upholds what it means to exemplify and embody student excellence and progress towards an emerging DEI leader, outside of Rowan University." 

Jamar Green

Jamar Green

Tell us about yourself:

My name is Jamar Green and I am currently a senior double majoring in Law and Justice Studies and Africana Studies. I am a first-generation student who transferred to Rowan in January 2020 from Union County College. Since coming to Rowan I have found myself in the position of a student leader for Black and Brown students on campus, while being a student leader I have joined multiple clubs and organizations and I serve as an officer for four of those clubs. I am currently the President of the Black Student Union, Secretary of the New Life Ministry, Treasurer of Rowan's NAACP Chapter, and the Co-Historian for the African Student Association. I was also one of many students who helped plan and coordinate the Call to Action that took place in October 2021 addressing Rowan administrators on issues pertaining to the Black and Brown community here on campus. 

Why is DEI Work Important? 

DEI work is important because, without diversity, equity and inclusion, we as people will not be able to work together to achieve our goals. If it was not for the work of DEI, then the issues that myself and my fellow Executive Board members from the Black Student Union brought forth to administration would have not been able to be done. With DEI work being as important as it is, it set a foundation for the change that Students of Color on campus want to see and that we know is coming sooner than later. 

DEI Resources you would like to share: 

A book on DEI that I would recommend as a resource would be Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven.