Assistant Professor of Higher Education research focuses on creating equitable and inclusive campus environments for racially minoritized populations

Dr. Raquel Wright - Mair, Assistant Professor of Higher Education

wrightmair@rowan.edu

Tell us about the research that you are doing:

I conduct research that is grounded in social justice and equity. My research agenda seeks to transform existing institutional environments and advocate for the creation of campus environments that are supportive, equitable, and inclusive for racially minoritized populations, in order to maximize their success. My research is heavily focused on the experiences of racially minoritized faculty, and staff, who are an often understudied population across higher education. Specifically, I am working on three major research projects. The first study focuses on the experiences of diversity, equity, and inclusion professionals in college athletics with Dr. Yannick Kluch in the Sports Communication and Media program, in addition to colleagues at the University of Louisville and Ball State University. Second, I am working on a study with Dr. Kara Ieva from the Counseling in Educational Settings program, to examine the challenges multiple minoritized faculty face navigating academic careers, and the associated stress and mental health conditions that often manifest in the lives of these faculty members. Third I recently collaborated with Dr. Susan Marine from Merrimack College on a research project that explores the experiences of racially minoritized faculty members who also identify as Queer.  

What made you want to undertake this work?

I am very passionate about transforming institutions of higher education through a social justice lens. I think it is essential to hold systems and stakeholders within these systems accountable for creating campus environments that are equitable, inclusive, and affirming for faculty, staff, and students. I also believe that with great success comes tremendous responsibility, and as such see my work as both integral and necessary to meaningfully transform academic environments. Additionally, I have had over 10 years’ experience in Higher Education and Student Affairs and am committed to seeing truth telling turn to action within our institutions.

Why would our students at Rowan University be interested in this work?

Students play a big role in the work I do. Many of my research studies, articles, book projects, classrooms, conference presentations etc. have strong student involvement. I very much believe in co-constructing knowledge with my students, and believe that they are just as important in the change process as I am. My work is not complete without the voices and involvement of students. I think Rowan students would be interested in my work as many seek to be a part of a bigger solution in an evolving world that is becoming more intentional and committed to advancing equity and social justice.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about your work?

As I seek to create transformation across institutions of higher education, I strongly believe in the power of partnerships and collaborative work. As such, I seek to do collaborative work across higher education and in the local and global community. Most recently, I wrote an article, A Work of Heart: Practicing Critical Compassionate Pedagogy in the Face of Adversity ​in Diverse Issues with 10 of my graduate students. In this article, we discussed the importance of critical compassionate pedagogy as a way to reimagine the potential impact of effective teaching and learning. I see my “work” as a broader commitment (and responsibility) to enacting change wherever possible—especially through my research, teaching, service, and everyday interactions with people. My work is driven from a deep internal passion, calling, and desire to be an agent of change.