Summer Aid

Summer Aid

Summer 2018 Specific Information

The summer semester is considered a “trailer” to the standard academic year. This means that summer acts as a third semester of the 17/18 award year. As a result, only students who have not exhausted their aid eligibility for 17/18 will have remaining federal aid for the Summer term.  

  • TAG does not provide summer grants at all, regardless of enrollment or eligibility
  • Pell Grants are available, only if you were paid Pell for less than full-time study during either the fall or spring semester
  • Student loans are available if you did not borrow your full annual loan limit during the fall and spring semesters OR you advance grade levels (move from Freshman to Sophomore OR from Sophomore to Junior)
  • Federal Work Study may be available if you are enrolled for at least 1 credit hour for the summer.  

The summer term is considered the end of an academic year. Students may receive financial aid for summer courses if:

  • You are enrolled at least half-time as a degree-seeking student at Rowan (6 credits for undergraduates; 4.5 credits for graduates);
  • You are maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress;
  • You have remaining (unused) eligibility from the fall and spring term;
  • You have filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 17/18 award year; and
  • You complete the Summer Term Financial Aid Request Form by the established deadline.

Applying for Summer Financial Aid

After you have registered for your summer term courses, you will need to complete and submit a Summer Term Financial Aid Request Form online. 

Apply for Summer Aid

You must indicate the desired Direct Student Loan amount if you have remaining (unused) eligibility from the fall and spring term.

You may need to consider borrowing an Alternative Loan or a PLUS loan if you have exhausted your 17/18 financial aid eligibility. Students or parents may apply for alternative or private education loans. Rowan University neither maintains a preferred lender list; nor do we endorse/recommend private lenders. However, ELMSelect provides a neutral lender and product comparison tool for these types of loans.

Additionally, the State of NJ offers the NJCLASS Loan Program. These loans are available to both NJ residents and our out-of-state/nonresident students.  

Please note that approval for PLUS and alternative loans are based on a credit review by the loan lender.

Summer Term FAQ's

How many credits do I have to take to qualify for aid?
Students must be enrolled at least part time (6 credits for undergraduates; 4.5 credits for graduates) over all summer sessions to be eligible for Federal aid; however, there are some private loan programs available to students taking fewer than 6 credits. If your registration drops below 6 credits, your summer financial aid will be adjusted. These adjustments may create a balance due on your account. 

How do I apply for loans for the Summer term?

If you borrowed a Federal Direct Loan during the 2017/2018 academic year and have remaining loan eligibility, then please complete the Summer Term Financial Aid Request Form. If you have never borrowed Direct Loans before, you will need to complete the Application and Master Promissory Note in addition to the Summer Term Financial Aid Request Form.

What if I have to change my registration or housing status for the summer?

If you change your registration or housing status after completing and returning the Summer Term Financial Aid Request Form, please contact the Financial Aid Office so necessary adjustments can be made to your summer financial aid.

Is financial aid available for off-campus living expenses?
Financial aid may be used for off-campus living expenses. Please indicate your summer housing arrangements on the Summer Term Financial Aid Request Form. You may, however, not be eligible for the entire amount you request. If you have requested additional funds for living expenses, those extra funds will be issued by the Bursar’s Office after your financial aid has been finalized and credited to your account. You should be prepared to pay your expenses until you receive your refund check from the Bursar’s Office.